Friday Night Lights

Terrion+Chavers

Terrion Chavers

Rylie West, Writer

This Friday, September 28 our ERHS Mustang football team took on the Corona Panthers, defeating them 57-0 for Roosevelt’s first shut out win of the season. The first play of the game, safety, Tyson McDonald, intercepted the ball at the 20 yard line and ran for a touchdown setting the tone for the rest of the game. Less than two minutes later, quarterback Kenzel Lawler ran for yet another touchdown. By the end of the first quarter, our Mustangs were leading 29-0 and by the end of the half, they led 43-0.

This was the first league game for both our Mustangs and the Panthers. ERHS came into the game with a record of 3-2 and Corona came into the game with an overall record of 2-3. Coming out of this game, Roosevelt takes an overall 4-2 record and a 1-0 league record.

Max Preps states that the Big VII Conference is ranked eighth in “Top 10 toughest high school football leagues in California”, with nationally ranked Centennial High School in the league as well, each league game can be detrimental for an overall winning record. With that being said, I asked running back, Terrion Chavers a few questions.

“How does it feel starting off league with a win and how does this set the tone for the rest of league?”

Chavers says, “It feels pretty good knowing that we can execute, and our plan is to keep executing each week.”

“What was the preparation like for this week?”

“Going to practice every day and especially going hard day in and day out.”

“What were the components of shutting out Corona?”

“Just believing in the coaching staff and believing in each other and working as a team.”

Mustangs Leading 29-0 first quarter