What is the SBAC?

Danny Nguyen, Staff Writer

Recently, all Junior students of ERHS have been required to take the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) test, a different kind of testing that puts emphasis on a student’s ability to solve a specific problem through critical thinking and analysis, unlike the previous multiple choice testing format that they are used to. The questions adapt to the way the test-taker answers the question, meaning that if one gets a question wrong, the next question will be easier and vice versa.

Because of this unusual nature, some students have expressed concern and confusion in regards to the intent of giving the test to them and how it affects them as well as the school itself because the assessment gives the school an idea of where the student body is at academically.

However, Caroline Cota, one of the assistant principals on campus, in charge of managing SBAC testing, reassures us that the SBAC will be beneficial in helping students better themselves as students as the results of the test, which will be sent out to the Juniors for them to see what they need to improve on. And doing well on the SBAC showcases a student’s profound abilities that could transcend beyond the high school level, allowing them to excel in the subject of which the SBAC is on.

“The Assessment would also help Juniors by giving them an idea of what types of college classes they are recommended to take when they get there,” Cota said in an interview.

But more importantly, the SBAC gives educators a good idea to improve how they teach in their classes.

In the end, Cota advises that while these is no way to truly study or prepare for the test, a good rest and being very attentive in your classes can help.