Riverside County History Day

Macie Walker

Pictured above, the ERHS History Day Champions: Daniella Terrones, Sophia Liu, Tianna Calderon, and Dimple Garuadapuri.

Joshua Dineros, Writer

On Saturday, March 16, several Eleanor Roosevelt High School students attended the Riverside County History Day competition at Valley View High School in Moreno Valley, California. A total of 5 students advance to the  National History Day: California State Competition, which will be held on May 10-12, in Rocklin, California. Champions at the state level advance to the National History Day Competition, which be held on June 9-13, at the University of Maryland, College Park. The student champions from Roosevelt were Daniella Terrones, Sophia Liu, Tianna Calderon, Adrian Tayag, and Dimple Garuadapuri.

Joshua Dineros
Pictured above, champion Adrian Tayag.

Tayag, an ERHS junior and champion in the “Senior Individual Documentary” category, is elated to move forward to state competition by saying, “I’m looking forward to new possible academic opportunities going forward, as well as seeing other participant’s projects, bringing up new ideas, interpretations and significance to pieces of history that they’ve devoted themselves to.”

Tayag also reiterates his passion and drive for History Day by talking about the work he has put into his documentary and saying, “I really wanted to exemplify a person that reflected the theme [of triumph and tragedy], and so I chose to make a documentary on the jazz musician Louis Armstrong, someone who isn’t typically seen as a historically significant figure, but upon analysis of his life and actions really showcase a story of rags to riches, oppression to overcoming, and triumph over tragedy.”

Joshua Dineros
Pictured above, Tianna Calderon and Makenzie Dorsey.

Makenzie Dorsey who is also a junior here at ERHS, competed in the “Senior Individual Exhibit” category on Saturday. Dorsey did not make it to the State competition, however, she learned that, “…this competition is tough. It requires a deep level of understanding and many resources to highlight multiple perspectives. I have learned that it takes patience, grit, and a whole lot of hope to get everything completed and I now have a better understanding of how to plan out my time and make goals to beat procrastination.”

Congratulations to all of our Mustangs who moved forward to State Competition, we look forward to seeing you succeed and continue to make our school proud by being the Best at Getting Better!