Cash for College Workshop

Courtesy of alabamapossible.com

If you’re a current senior and you’re looking for opportunities to pay for college, attend the Cash for College workshop happening at the ERHS Mustang Theatre on Thurs, Feb. 22, from 6 pm to 7:30 pm.

—–UPDATE 2/22/2018,11:59 pm—–

The “Cash for College” workshop in the ERHS cafeteria near the Mustang Theatre saw a fair turnout this evening as Mustang seniors and parents attended the event to take in useful information about financial aid and ways to pay for college. Some of the attendees also took the opportunity to work on FAFSA applications in the school library computer lab with some assistance provided.

Danny Nguyen
The title screen of the PowerPoint presentation that was given to ERHS seniors and parents about financial aid at the “Cash for College” workshop.

ERHS counselor Michelle Morris, with the help of her colleagues who are also counselors, set up the event with the intent of helping seniors “fund life after high school,” as she said in an email interview.

Morris started off by introducing California state assembly member Sabrina Cervantes, who represents her constituents residing in the 60th district that includes the cities of Corona, Norco, Jurupa Valley, parts of Riverside and of course Eastvale.

Cervantes acknowledged to parents and students her sentiment on the very act of having to find ways to pay for college when she was in high school, saying that she “has been there before.”

She pointed out on the fact that students amass an average of about twenty-two thousand dollars in debt on borrowed student loans once they finish school, but offered reassurance by emphasizing the benefits of applying for financial aid to help alleviate those costs.

Recently, Cervantes introduced an assembly bill in the California Legislature that exists within the parameters of an already enacted law that instigated the Student Aid Commission in charge of approving student financial aid programs for students pursuing education beyond high school. The proposed bill would establish the California Kickstart My Future Loan Forgiveness Program, which would “provide student loan forgiveness awards for the purpose of alleviating the burden of federal student loan debt for recent graduates meeting specified requirements,” according to the California Legislative Information government website.

Danny Nguyen
Morris and the counselors greeted people who joined them in their “Cash for College” workshop by giving them these folders which contained an informational magazine about FAFSA and the various ways in which students could pay for college.

Cervantes also reaffirmed her commitment in ensuring that assistance be provided to struggling students that are trying pay for college.

Anthony Becerra, a Norco College student financial services analyst, then give a thorough presentation about navigating the murky waters of financial aid after Cervantes’ remarks.

He exclaimed the 3 common mistakes that students often make in trying to handle finances in paying for their post-secondary education: not applying for the FAFSA, procrastinating, and not looking for any scholarships. But Becerra did applaud workshop attendees for taking the call to action today by applying for FAFSA. He talked about the four sources of financial aid students could be potentially be eligible for (federal, state, college and university offered, and private based – churches, the community, outside organizations).

“There are also 4 types of ways to pay for college in addition to the sources as well – work study, grants, scholarships of course loans,” Becerra said to the audience.

Becerra then answered questions from people individually while they seized the opportunity to earn a free scholarship by filling out a survey and sign-in sheets of the workshop that automatically enters them into a drawing for said scholarship.

With college on the horizon, there is no denying, as evidenced by the workshop, the importance of recognizing the different types of financial benefits that are available to seniors.

“Not all financial aid options are created equal,” Teresa Roeder, who serves as ERHS support staff by heading its College and Career Center, wrote in an email interview on the matter. “Know your different choices and the outcome of selecting a particular option. Be wise about your financial selection and how you use it.”

—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

ERHS will host a “Cash for College” workshop set to occur on Thurs, Feb. 22, in the Mustang Theater from 6 pm to 7:30 p.m.

The workshop schedule includes a short presentation about the types of financial aid seniors and their parents or guardians could look into. These could include various grants, loans, or scholarships offered within their reach.

Students and parents could also work on their FAFSA application – which is due Mar. 2 – if they have not already done so. Parents will need to bring their 2016 tax information to do so to work with their teen.

Also, ERHS seniors who will attend will be entered in a drawing to win a scholarship.

For the seniors here at ERHS, the end of a 4-year high school career – and for that matter, the many years spent in primary and secondary schools – is upon them and college is the next frontier. Only this time, college is something that isn’t free, requiring money to pay for it. Yes, the financial aspects of college are crucial, so in an effort to help Mustang parents and their seniors better manage them, this workshop is available for them.

After all, it’s better to be prepared for what’s ahead and to seek these opportunities before they disappear, so consider attending. But if you’re all prepared and ready to go, good for you! Spread the word!

Check back here for an update of how the event turned out.

Danny Nguyen
Senior year is almost coming to a close, and while we hope to attend most of the Senior events, we also have to prepare for the next frontier to explore: college. Pictured here is the Spring Senior Year Planning Calendar of the things you need to make sure you’re doing to ensure you finish off the year strong and are all set for your future. One of these things to consider doing: attending the Cash for College financial aid night with your parents tomorrow night.