Girls’ Soccer Comes Out on Top in 3-1 Victory Over Centennial

Girls Soccer Comes Out on Top in 3-1 Victory Over Centennial

Chris Hilsinger-Pate, Staff Writer

The Mustangs won their first league game of the season in a 3-1 win over Centennial on a brisk night in Eastvale, California.

Roosevelt got off to a fast start as they maintained possession of the ball for much of the beginning of the game and consistently put pressure on Centennial’s defense. However, Centennial was able to clear the ball from their side of the field, and they managed to launch a fast break as a result. Luckily for Roosevelt, senior Vanessa Rico was able to chase down the attacker, and a slide tackle effectively ended the short-lived threat.

After gaining possession of the ball once again, Roosevelt went on a scoring spree. Three goals were scored by Roosevelt in the first half. The first goal came from freshman Jonnie Sanchez as she kicked the ball into the goal after settling a deflection. Senior Darrian Reed scored the next goal, and once again, the goal came off of a deflection. Kali McNally scored the third goal of the night.

To start the second half, Roosevelt came out a bit flat and Centennial took advantage. Centennial was given a free kick opportunity, but the shot flew past the top of the goal by a few feet. However, their next free kick went in. The 30-yard kick sailed just about the goalie’s finger tips to make the score 3-1.

Centennial’s lone goal of the night came a little too late for them as Roosevelt was able to control the ball and keep it out of the zone near the goalie for the rest of the game.