Time Management for Students

Abigail Parella, Staff Writer

The average life of a high school student consists of homework, family obligations, friends, extra curricular and in some cases a part-time job.

For all levels of high school there is a need for time management when it comes to juggling all aspects of life, however with added pressure of the SAT and ACT along with college applications, junior year can be one of the more stressful years of high school.

Here are some tips to help manage your time and relieve as much stress as possible.

Number 1: Write it down.

By using a planner or a to-do list app you are able to clearly see what needs to be done for each class and by when.

Junior Natalie Burr uses a similar method; ” I have never been able to just remember assignments, it has to be written down somewhere I can see it with lots of color. I usually take a sticky note and write down my classes in order and then in pen or pencil I will write down what needs to be done. And I highlight when I’m done.”

By writing down assignment due dates and the dates for test and quizzes, it gives you something to focus on ans lets you plan daily activities around homework and studying.

Number 2: Prioritize

After writing down your assignments, it is a good idea to prioritize your time based on due dates.

• Urgent: Tasks that must be done right away should be marked urgent, such as upcoming tests and quizzes.
  • Important: Homework
  • Medium: projects that are due at a later date.

“I definitely do what I need to do first. If there is a project due in say a month, I can do my worksheets first and stuff that is due in a couple days that is more of a priority. But, if there is a project I will do some every week so that I’m not rushing at the end of the time,” said Burr.

Number 3: Say no

Don’t take on more than you can handle, if you have to work and do homework don’t promise to go out with your friends as well.  You know what you can handle and you have the power to say no.

Number 4: Plan Ahead

Using your planner or app work homework into other obligations such as friends, family, jobs and extra curricular activities. Planing ahead allows you to stress less knowing that you have a plan for getting everything done.

Number 5: Take care of yourself

Making sure that you are caught up on sleep and eating healthy gives you the boost you need to make it through you day and complete all your goals and assignments.