Halloween Approaches

Halloween+Approaches

Rich Wang, A&E Editor/Staff Writer

It is now October, the month in which many celebrate Halloween on the last day. We dress up in costumes and go trick-or-treating for candy, with the occasional pranks and tricks. Of course, not everyone participates, but that doesn’t stop those who do from enjoying it.

When we think of Halloween, we imagine Jack-o-lanterns, spiders, and very dark nights. And let’s not forget the ghosts, witches, and vampires. In fact, we probably think of as many scary creatures as possible when the spooky holiday nears.

The last few Halloweens, I’ve seen people dressed up as vampires, witches, anime characters, and even what I’m pretty sure was the Pillsbury Doughboy. However, I didn’t see any ghosts or ghouls. Then again, those two are really old ideas that are mostly used by children these days. This year, I think we might just see something new.

Honestly, I don’t really know what to think this Halloween. There have been some fun moments, but now that we’re in high school, my expectations are lowering quite a bit. I mean, we’re starting to run out of ideas of what to dress as, and some of us don’t even dress up at all! Also, the people who do dress up are usually wearing store-bought costumes.

Put simply, it’s pretty rare to see a costume that has originality these days. And the ones that do can be made by anyone who has the right items. But it’s refreshing to see such new costumes these days. That includes the time I heard about someone wearing a Donald Trump costume, which I’m pretty sure caused a bit of chaos. Then again, during Halloween we don’t really see people dressed up as other people, much less presidential candidates.

But the one thing about Halloween that I will always like is the fact we can be what we want to be as long as it is within reason. We put on masks, act like what we’re dressed up as, and enjoy spending time with our friends and family. Even if the mask is just makeup, it gives us another identity. That’s the best part.

But don’t let my thoughts affect your Halloween. This is a time for us to have fun, dress up, be someone else. We have a chance to let hidden parts of ourselves shine, and we don’t have to worry about what others think. So let’s have a great Halloween this year, Mustangs!