Amazon Go

Amazon+Go

Kevin Ta, Staff Writer

Amazon continues to extend its branch and grow rapidly each second. Their latest future-of-the-world technology is their new Amazon Go. Amazon Go is a grocery store that provides users with a faster and efficient way of shopping. The store uses cameras and sensors to detect what you’ve taken and placed back. It uses a large sensor to detect what items you have on you when you walk out in order to charge you.

There was a test store in Seattle and it was a big success, gathering over thousands of Amazon users to shop at their store. To enter the store you need a smartphone, an Amazon account and the recently released Amazon Go app.

Once you’re inside the store Amazon starts tracking where you are inside, detecting what aisle you’re in. The system can detect whether you’ve picked something up and whether you’ve placed it back. Everything you take off a shelf is placed into a cart inside your app that will charge you upon leaving the store. Amazon provides shopping bags for customers to use but you can just put them in your backpacks or purse; the sensors will still detect them once you leave.

Allan Kounlavong, a senior at Eleanor Roosevelt High School says that “I’m excited for this kind of technology to expand.” and “I’m pretty sure this will take over the grocery store game!”