Florida Student Survives Being Shot Five Times

Rich Wang, Staff Writer

During the deadliest Florida school shooting that happened at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, a fifteen-year-old boy named Anthony Borges saved twenty of his fellow students, but was shot five times in the process. He is currently recovering in Broward Health hospital. The hospital says they can’t release any details on his condition. They say only that he and three other victims from the shooting recovering are all in “fair condition.” The Sheriff’s Office says that Borges “has a long road ahead with more surgeries needed.”

Borges’s friend, Carlos Rodriguez, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” that the two rushed to hide in a nearby classroom when they first heard gunshots. He says that even though no one knew what to do, Borges “took the initiative to just save his other classmates.”

Borges, who is a big fan of soccer, even drew the attention of U.S. soccer player Landon Donovan, who rallied his soccer fans to donate to help the teenager’s family. “One of our own was a hero last week and needs our help,” Donovan wrote on his Twitter account.

Borges’ GoFundMe had raised more than $446,000 as of Tuesday afternoon from nearly 14,000 donations. The legitimacy of the fundraising page was confirmed by the Broward County Sheriff’s Office.

Royer Borges, Anthony’s father, told ABC News that his son called him shortly after the attack, and described the massacre at his school that left seventeen people dead. “He just called me and says, ‘Dad, somebody shot me in the back and my leg, too,'” said the father, breaking into tears. He said he has heard of the selflessness his son showed and expressed pride in his boy. “He’s my hero,” Royer said.