“The Brothers Grimm Spectatulathon,” fairytales of a different kind

Danny Nguyen, Staff Writer

We all know and adore the fairy tale adaptations, especially those that were recorded by the famous Brothers Grimm, that Disney makes because they’re cute, beautifully animated, and iconic. But there comes a point when we realize that those adaptations have been “slightly” changed by the mouse to the point in which they seem almost entirely different from their original roots. In fact, as time goes by, it seems evident that the happy endings that Disney tacks on to their fairy tale adaptations were just added in the film studio’s attempt to protect their brand of family-friendly and appropriate content.

But happy endings don’t always happen, and it’s wonderful that the ERHS Theater Company’s production of playwright Don Zolidis’s play “The Brothers Grimm Spectatulathon” makes that clear in farcical, comedic and humorous ways as it tackles on well-known fairy tales by telling them as they were intended by the Brothers Grimm with some modern flourishes. The play pokes fun at Disney’s vision of the Grimm fairy tales several times, which is interestingly relevant given the company’s firm iron fist on the entertainment industry, with its merchandising and its theme parks and its films and its acquired properties like that huge deal with 21st Century Fox that it sealed late last year.

What centralizes the numerous interconnected fairy tales featured in the play are two narrators (played by students Ethan  that tell and comment on the fairy tales as they are performed in real time.

But overall, the play was great and you truly missed out.