Mishap in Los Angeles School

Photo Credits:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/02/us/los-angeles-school-shooting/index.html

Photo Credits: https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/02/us/los-angeles-school-shooting/index.html

Maddie Gorrie, Journalist/Editor

Right here in Los Angeles, California, there was a school shooting as Sal Castro Middle School on February 2nd at 8:55 a.m.  The alleged shooter is a 12 year old girl.  Police are claiming the shooting was unintentional and the weapon was simply being mishandled.

In total, four people were injured-three students and one teacher.  Since the person with the weapon is a minor who was on school grounds, warrants will be issued.  She was arraigned the Monday following the incident.  The junior high school student is also being charged for negligent discharge of a fireman.  The weapon used was a semi automatic.

Gisselle Guerrero, an active student on the ERHS campus says, “This entire situation seems to be quite a scandal for a lady at such a young age.  It’s hard to believe that someone at that age even has access to a weapon.”

One victim was a 15 year old boy who is expected to recover after being shot in the head.  Another 15 year old female was shot in the wrist and hospitalized as well.  Two fellow students, ages 11 and 12, had graze wounds that were treated immediately.  The 30 year old woman suffered from a very minor injury that she got during the chaos succeeding the shooting.

A classmate of the girl who is being detained claims that the students thought it was just a toy gun and truthfully believes the entire episode was an accident.

Miss. Guerrero also states, “Carrying a gun along in your backpack for a ride to school seems very irresponsible and not right and I cannot believe that it was an accident.”

Currently, she is being held in the Los Angeles County Central Juvenile Hall.  Not much information has been uncovered about the shooter, but the grandmother claims the girl is extremely “caring and loving,” but did not have many friends.  She also had a history of being bullied on a regular basis.

Gisselle Guerrero
Photo Credit:
Maddie Gorrie