Venom Trailer

Rich Wang, Staff Writer

On February 8, 2018, Sony Pictures Entertainment released a teaser trailer for their upcoming movie, “Venom,” which centers around the title character, who’s also one of the infamous antagonists of Spider-Man in the Marvel comics.

This is Sony’s first reportedly R-rated foray into the Marvel Universe. Actor Tom Hardy stars as Spider-Man’s symbiotic alien archenemy Venom, with Michelle Williams, Jenny Slate, Riz Ahmed and Woody Harrelson as other members of the cast.

Because of the rating, there is a debate as to whether or not the movie is part of the MCU. Fans of the Marvel franchise have expressed that if it is, they hope that Spider-Man (Tom Holland) will appear in the movie. However, it has been confirmed that a major Spider-Man villain will be the antagonist of the movie. There is even an alleged report that the main antagonist will be Carnage, a serial killer who was exposed to part of Venom’s body. There is speculation that if the report is true, he will be played by Ahmed. Assuming that Venom will be an anti-hero in the movie like he is in the comics, this is a possibility.

Not much else is known about the plot of the movie, though there is a quick glimpse of the Venom symbiote in the teaser. Additionally, the silhouette of Venom’s eyes and teeth is shown at the end of the teaser. Although what Venom will look like in the movie is unknown, there are a few pictures on the internet predicting how he will look.

ERHS student Kevin Ta expresses his thoughts on the movie. He confesses that he “doesn’t know much about superhero stuff,” but states that he’s “excited to see that one of Spider-Man’s enemies will get his own movie,” adding that he looks forwards to how the movie will turn out.