Poland’s New Holocaust Bill

Gisselle Guerrero, Staff Editor / Writer

Polish President  Andrzej Duda says he will sign the country’s new controversial Holocaust bill. This law will make it illegal to accuse the nation of complicity in crimes committed by Nazi Germany, including the Holocaust. It will ban the use of terms like, “Polish death camps” in relation to Auschwitz and other such camps located in Nazi-occupied Poland. The violations of this new law will be punished by a fine or a jail sentence of up to three years.

Although President Andrzej Duda plans on signing the bill, he still plans to send the bill to the constitutional tribunal for review. In a televised statement in Warsaw; President Duda said, “…After analyzing the situation and the bill, I have decided that I will sign it. I am signing this bill and, accordingly, Article 55a will come into force.” It is still however unclear when President Duda is planning to sign the bill and when it will become enshrined in law.

The decision is likely to anger Israel, which has been vociferous in the criticism of the bill, accusing Poland of trying to rewrite history. Brianna Badillo, a student at Eleanor Roosevelt stated, “Instead of Poland trying to make excuses for the actions of the past, they should learn to accept them and try to learn for the future.”  only Israel will be angry with the new law, but also the current jews who currently live in Poland. They fear for their future and even President Duda is aware of their worries. Brianna also mentioned, “The jews have already been through a lot through out World War II and with this new bill, it is like taking a step back from so many steps forward.”

Brianna Badillo