Larry Nassar Starts his Life in Prison

Photo+Credits%3A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2017%2F11%2F22%2Fsports%2Flarry-nassar-gymnastics-molestation.html

Photo Credits: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/sports/larry-nassar-gymnastics-molestation.html

Maddie Gorrie, Editor/Journalist

Time in the spotlight cannot always last forever.  At one time, Larry Nassar was a world-renowned sports physician who specialized with Olympic women gymnasts.

Nassar was a doctor who practiced medicine at the University of Michigan after graduating from this university in 1985.  Now he has been sentenced to 175 years in prison, which is what Judge Rosemarie Aquilina set as his punishment for being such a disgrace.

The first reporting of Nassar sexually abusing a girl was in 1994 and the alleges fell and did not go far.  Due to this, the abuse lasted for six additional years.  Then in 1998, it was reported that Nassar sexually assaulted the daughter of a family friend who was only six years of age at the time.

Following that in 2000, another student athlete at Michigan State University reported Nassar to the university, but the case was never acted on.

After many cases were filed against Nassar, MSU cleared his record of any misconduct.  Due to this, he retired from the USA Gymnastics Medical Coordinator and remained a team doctor for artistic gymnastics.

Girls he abused included some of the greatest known Olympians such as Aly Raisman.

Ann Decker, a student at Oregon State University states, “Having been a dancer and gone through physical therapy in the past makes me think of how captured these girls must have felt.  All they wanted to do was the sport they love and they ended up being scarred for life.”

Admitting to use his medical license as a way of getting to girls in order to molest girls led to Nassar pleading guilty to seven counts of sexual misconduct.  His plea took placed in Michigan in Ingham County.

Nassar apologized for what he had done after hearing 156 victims state the impact he had on their lives.  Aquilina, the judge for this case, brought up a letter that had been written by Nassar saying he was forced to plead guilty and claimed the women were lying about all the circumstances.

Ann Decker also makes the statement that, “Attempting to be apologetic for something you don’t regret makes Nassar an even worse person and a liar on top of that.  The best part is that he has his entire life to understand what occurred and why he is in prison.”

While Nassar may have made the girls weak at one point in their lives, they stared him down during the trials in order to show their bravery and strength.

If only Nassar truly cared about his athletes, he would not have to live the remainder of his life behind bars.

Photo Credit:
Maddie Gorrie,
Ann Decker, left, senior at Oregon State University