HBCU College Fair

Ariana Scott, Staff Writer

This past Wednesday, a few Historically Black Colleges came to Eleanor Roosevelt High School to talk to students who planned on attending one of these colleges. There was schools there such as Tuskegee, Howard University, Clark Atlanta University, Florida A&M, Alabama State, and more. I had the privilege of going and talking to some of these college recruits and getting to know what each school was about. Each of them are unique in their own way and it’s a different environment and different crowd of people to be around, which is cool if you want the college experience.

Me applying to Tuskegee University // Photo by Angelica Lacson

I talked to alumni, Destiny Storks who attended Howard University, she says “ I know what it’s like to come from California, all the way from Washington..and it’s a scary but most best thing to experience.” It was a very motivational and amazing thing to see as well. We had kids getting acceptances and scholarship money offered to them ON THE SPOT.

Senior Ndea Jefferson, got accepted to Shaw University and this would be her third acceptance from a college of the year. “ It feels great to be accepted anywhere. College will be an amazing experience and I am excited to do what I want to do which is study Political Science.”

Photo by Ariana Scott

We had plenty of young ladies get accepted to some colleges and it was amazing. What people really don’t know about HBCU’s is that they cater to African Americans but it is a good advantage to save money and go somewhere where you are around different people. They help young black kids succeed and help them follow their dreams; some can’t afford to go to their dream school or grades aren’t the best, but HBCU’s sure do give you a chance.