Two Corona students arrested for making individual threats towards school campus

Danny Nguyen, Staff Writer

Courtesy of Mapquest
Aerial satellite view of Corona High School, the subject of online violent threats made by two students in separate cases.

The Corona Police Department arrested two individual students from Corona High School that made violent threats towards the school campus in two separate cases.

The 1st student, a 15-year-old male minor, was immediately identified and arrested by police at his home on Thursday night of January 25th after officials discovered the social media posts that he had made online in which he wrote threats aimed at the Corona High student body.

No weapons were found in the boy’s home. The student was then booked into the Riverside Juvenile Hall. A press release was sent out by the Corona Police Department. The investigation for the case is still ongoing.

The next day, a second male student from Corona High, this time 18 years of age, made similar threats that were also found on social media. This time, the young adult posted a picture of himself holding what appeared to be a weapon of some sort as a threat to the school campus.

School administration officials of Corona High recognized the post online and notified the school’s assigned resource officer, who then contacted Corona police. The suspect was then detained from the school campus. The weapon in the photo was confirmed by police to have been rented at a shooting range for usage solely on that range and when authorities checked the suspect’s home, no weapons were located. This investigation is also ongoing.

Because both arrest involve minors, their names have not been released.

“The Corona Police Department takes every threat seriously and has zero tolerance for any behavior that threatens the safety of our schools,” the police press release said.

Prior to the arrests, rumbling rumors had been floating around online amongst Corona students about a potential shooting that might happen during the school day on Friday, January 26, concerning them and raising their eyebrows in regards to whether or not they should go to school that day.

However, shortly after the 1st arrest, the Corona Norco Unified School District sent out an alert on its Facebook and Twitter page at about 11:20 pm telling parents and staff to “be advised that rumors circulating on social media concerning campus safety tomorrow at Centennial High School and Corona High School are not credible” and that “All rumors are thoroughly investigated by law enforcement. School safety is of the utmost importance to the school district.”

The CPD has also advised Corona residents to turn to official websites for accurate information regarding the arrests rather then social media outlets due to the inability to fully monitor such outlets 24/7.

After the arrests, police personnel were present on Corona High’s campus that Friday to reassure the students and staff of their security. Classes resumed as usual.

On the Corona High School website, the CNUSD made an additional statement in response to the concerns about the threat: “While these threats were not credible, ALL threats made to campus safety are taken very seriously, and thoroughly investigated in partnership with the Corona Police Department.”