Memories of Nazi Scarring

Photo Credit: https://www.ssu.se/++

Maddie Gorrie, Journalist/Editor

January 27: the day in which the world the world is dedicated to remembering the Holocaust.

This is the same day as the Nisan on the Hebrew calendar and is also the date of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

Between the years of 1933 and 1945, Adolf Hitler led the Nazi Party into persecuting millions of European Jews and those who were not killed lived shattered lives for quite some time. One aspect of the Holocaust that strike people the most is that it occurred in the heart of Europe. Germany was known around the world for its scientific discoveries, its physicians, and having a democracy.

Josh Kohler, a senior in high school in New Jersey says, “While it was completely unexpected for something so radical to happen, Germany did have the most intelligent people who chased after what they wanted so it would have been the only nation to get away with it, which they did.”

Ordinary people would just stand on the streets and watch people be beaten and abused. The Holocaust is remembered because it is an unthinkable scar put on humanity and everyone must remember how evil the man can truly be.

Mr. Kohler also stated, “Growing up in a Jewish household has allowed me to learn to never take anything for granted because everything can be stripped in the blink of an eye. Working hard and pushing through the rough times will allow us to improve our lives.”

Eva Lavi, a survivor of the Holocaust, feels awful to this day that she survived when no one else her age was spared. As a child, her parents would not even take her to meetings for those who survived because they felt badly that their child was gifted life after the horror.

On this day, all of the victims are thought of along with those who were brave enough to put an end to the terror acts that were happening during World War II. People would risk their own lives and their family’s lives just to save another person.

The United States must remember how important it is to be a part of the country that has the will to defend those who are defenseless. To this day, there are still so many people being killed due to their ethnicity and that is something that cannot be forgotten.

Josh Kohler, high school student in New Jersey
Photo Credits: Maddie Gorrie