Republican Tax Plan

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2017%2F11%2F02%2Fus%2Fpolitics%2Ftax-plan-republicans.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/us/politics/tax-plan-republicans.html

Maddie Gorrie, Staff Editor / Writer

From the day Trump began campaigning to be the President of the United States of America, the fact that he was a large business man was common knowledge.  As Trump has only been in office for less than a year, he has persuaded the entire Republican party that there needs to be a new tax plan.

The plan, also known as trickle down economics, is a tax that is deducted from the rich so they have a better chance of buying new products to help the lower class.  It is publicized that the rich will spend more so more is given back to the economy which will result in everyone else being helped.

A senior at Savanna High School, Xavier Rodriguez, says, “It helps small businesses but big CEO’s can take advantage by paying themselves more, but overall, it will help corporate America.”

Republicans are an extremely conservative group of people who mainly want to assist those who think similarly to them.  They are for the wealthy so strive to cut taxes and help their fellow members.

If the bill were to be passed, it would end up costing $1.5 trillion over many, many years.

Xavier Rodriguez continued to state, “If I were in Congress and was presented with this bill, I would most definitely give it a yay.”

Children who were born from parents who had immigrated to the United States will be affected greatly be this tax plan.  Parents would be required to provide a reliable Social Security Number in order to receive the credit from the child tax credit.

All mortgages that would be obtained after the bill became a law would be capped at $500,000 rather than the $1 million it is currently at.  Real estate agents are infuriated by this possible outcome and will do anything in their power to not make it happen.

With large businesses having extremely low corporate rates there would also be a global minimum tax of 10 percent.

Middle class families could potentially be negatively effected by this bill if it were to be passed, so be cautious reading what is being said by the Republican party.

Xavier Rodriguez, senior at Savanna High School
Photo by Maddie Gorrie