Former Presidents Attend Hurricane Relief Concert

Rich Wang, Staff Writer

Former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Jimmy Carter took part in a benefit concert in Texas, while President Donald Trump appeared in a taped video message to the concertgoers. At the “Deep From the Heart: The One America Appeal” concert at Texas A&M University, the five former presidents raised money to help the victims of the hurricane that battered America for the last two months.

The concert is not the first time the former presidents have joined forces. After Hurricane Harvey struck Texas in September, all five started the charity effort and filmed a video urging citizens to help out amid the devastating flooding. They have since resumed the effort in the aftermath of Hurricanes Irma and Maria.

Trump’s taped message was intended to hail the resiliency of the American people following the devastation of this year’s deadly hurricanes and wildfires. In the message, Trump said, “To Presidents Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama, Melania and I want to express our deep gratitude for your tremendous assistance. This wonderful effort reminds us that we truly are one nation under God, all unified by our values and our devotion to one another.” It is unknown whether he was invited to the charity concert, as Bush Sr. refused to answer the question.

However, a White House official said Trump was “honored to be given an opportunity to participate in relief and recovery efforts,” adding that the President “encourages all Americans to be as generous as they can in helping storm survivors through this difficult time.”

As of Sunday afternoon, the charity effort has raised nearly $33 million in tax-deductible, private funds from more than 80,000 donors. Surprisingly, Lady Gaga made an unbilled appearance and made a donation that spokesman Jim McGrath described as “generous.”

Nothing more beautiful than everyone putting their differences aside to help humanity in the face of catastrophe. #OneAmericaAppeal pic.twitter.com/2TPdPonvWv

— xoxo, Gaga (@ladygaga) October 22, 2017

Carter told the crowd that Habitat for Humanity, a nonprofit he’s worked with for 36 years, has agreed to build 6,000 homes in devastated areas. The group has raised $20 million of a needed $100 million, he said.

A number of U.S. territories and mainland states are still reeling from the impact of several hurricanes, each of which struck in the past few months. Texas and Florida are both grappling with a number of deaths along with billions of dollars in damage. Even worse off are the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. The Virgin Islands are still facing power and water shortages on a horrifying scale; one island, St. John, has been in complete darkness for more than 40 days.

ERHS students Cher Wang states that “money should not be used.” She adds that “[the victims] need food and shelter.” While it is true that raising money will not solve the problem, it is important to note that it will help rebuild shelters for the people.

While money is being raised, people are pitching in in an attempt to help. For the MLB World Series game in Los Angeles, T-Mobile will donate $20,000 for every home run. Democratic activists are cashing in to assist the Harvey victims. Sacred Heart University is donating money to help the victims in Houston, Texas. Many others are doing what they can, and will do so until a later date. But for now, those who are helping have greatly impacted the futures of the victims of the hurricanes.