Exploring Possibilities for College

Photo by Maddie Gorrie

Photo by Maddie Gorrie

Photo by Maddie Gorrie

Maddie Gorrie, Editor

This Wednesday, October 4, the 2017-2018 senior/parent college fair took place in our very own Eleanor Roosevelt High School cafeteria.  So many colleges were represented at this event which allowed students of all grade levels to be exposed to different opportunities and routes they can take within their schooling careers.

Anaya Player -12 grade                 #erhs                                                 Photo by Maddie Gorrie

Art institutes, Cal States, and UC’s all had knowledgeable application representatives to inform students at ERHS what will be expected of them throughout high school along with how to choose the paths that will suit every individual.

Anaya Player, a senior at Eleanor Roosevelt, said, “I went to some of the schools I want to attend such as UCR and they gave me a lot of information about which major I want to go in.”

As some college applications have just opened and deadlines are approaching very quickly, Anaya stated, “There is no set SAT or ACT score, so that eased my mind.”  Taking that into perspective, colleges and universities will work with all those who are dedicated, so do not simply think your SAT score determines what college you will attend.

On top of that, the army, marines, and navy made their appearances in order to recruit high school students who want to be involved in fantastic training programs and potentially move forward in wearing a uniform, protecting and standing for the United States of America.

Alexander Riley-9th Grade                     Photo by Maddie Gorrie

The college fair allows both parents and students to realize there is not one answer or a wrong college choice.  All the wide variety of colleges at this event will allow students to discover what interests them.

One of the amazing things about the college fair is that it welcomes students of all grade levels, not only seniors or upperclassmen.  Freshman Alexander Riley already has his mind set in stone that college is number one on his list.  During the college fair, he mentioned, “I’m going to attempt to get a four year degree.  As of right now, I’m looking into GCU and UCLA.”  With three years of high school remaining, Alexander is seeking colleges that have programs which excel in criminal justice, business, and engineering.

Finding who you are on the inside is the college experience.  Allow yourself to get the absolute most of one of the most crucial, extraordinary times of a persons life.

Photo by Maddie Gorrie

Photo by Maddie Gorrie