Worlds At War

Fatimah Jackson, Editor

Washington post.com
 fatimah jackson 

As we are all approaching the end of this year, the United State’s hostile relationship with North Korea is reaching a dangerous point. On 24 September 2017,  American F-15 fighter jets were discovered hovering on the east coast of North Korea. On the 26th of September, Ri Yong-ho, North Korea’s foreign minister, stated that Pyongyang, the capital of North Korea, had the right to shoot down the fighter jets because of this action. The same day the fighter jets roamed on the coast of North Korea, President Donald Trump set out a tweet at eight o’clock p.m. claiming that he had just heard Ri Yong- ho speak at a UN meeting. The foreign minister, then declared that North Korea was at war with the United States.

The question is, should America take this statement literally? The U. S. has faced many encounters with North Korea over the years; on 15 April 1969 they shot down a US Navy EC-121 surveillance aircraft, killing thirty one men aboard. Who’s to say they won’t do it again?

ERHS student, Hailey Morales, says that “I don’t agree with how Donald Trump handled the dispute with North Korea, and I don’t really think that Kim Jon Un will really hold up on his threat.” The threat that North Korea poses to America is something that is confronted with skepticism. We can only hope, in future events, that North Korea continues to not hold up on threats.