Watch out for Step!

Ariana Scott, Staff Writer

The Step Team of Eleanor Roosevelt High is back in action! This year, they have a lot in store for us and they keep getting better and better. For more than three years now, Step Team has existed under adviser Mrs. Frost, the theater director and teacher, with the team prospering to become greater than what they are.

Tryouts happened Thursday, September 7, for the upcoming year and the talent was crazy! 115 students auditioned and gave it their all at tryouts.

“This year for step we really hope to showcase a lot of talent on the team. We do have some new boys who we will definitely be shining the light on this year,” Kamry Sullivan, a senior on campus and one of the captains on the Step Team that help create the team, said in an interview.

In addition to the ladies, there are also boys joining the team,  a new sight to see that will most definitely give the crowd that extra hype during live performances. The team has a good group of boys that are well known at Roosevelt such as Chase Williams, Tajh Thorton, Andrew Perez and more. These boys bring swag and style to the table, which is stepping and dancing to hip-hop done right.

Photo by Ariana Scott.

Theresa Akubuilo, a new captain of this year’s team and a junior at Roosevelt remarked that “it’s an honor to be captain as a junior because I get to help the growth of the step team until I graduate. Stepping is all about having fun and Theresa says “it’s the thrill you get from performing and being able to show everyone your hard work.”

DO NOT miss out on the step team this year, be ready for the pep rallies and all the excitement that they will bring to the table.