The Aftermath of Charlottesville

Jessica Jones, Staff Writer

August 13, 2017. Americans were stunned to see the outcome of a white supremacist rally held in Charlottesville, Virginia. The aftermath has showed us that Americans will no longer tolerate the acts of growing hate groups any longer.

James Alex Fields, the driver that instigated the major climax of the event was charged with second degree murder and placed into custody not long after he drove his car into the crowd of protestors, killing one and injuring nineteen.

Following the fatal KKK rally, self-proclaimed white supremacist Christopher Cantwell, who was featured in Vice Media’s short documentary, has been denied bail after he turned himself over to police. He was charged on two counts of illegal use of gas types and another count of “malicious bodily injury” a few days after the rally took place.

Aside from the white nationalists, people have also turned their attention to the group known as Antifa. “Anti-fascist” was originally used for an illegal resistance to the Nazi Party, yet now it has gained recognition for their usually violent protests against President Trump. Many members are better connected to anarchism rather than socialism, however the translation often gets lost in various media outlets. While Antifa has been given a violent reputation, many members agree that such reputation represents a minority of their group.

UC Berkeley professor Daniel Kammen, the U.S.’s climate change advisor, has resigned following Trump’s widely criticized statements on the white supremacist rally. The first letter of each of the seven paragraphs spelled out the word “IMPEACH” in his resignation notice.

It seems that Charlottesville is still shaken from the violent event as its city council recently held an emergency meeting to go over decisions related to not only the rally but the people involved as well as recovery efforts. For now, the town has covered all confederate statues in black tarps while they await their removal.