San Bernardino School Shooting

Two Children Injured

Ravyn Warner, Chief Sports Editor

A 53-year old African-American man in Southern California fatally shot and killed his estranged wife inside an elementary school classroom which was attended by children with special needs before killing himself on Monday, April 10, 2017.

Two students were injured in the murder-suicide at North Park Elementary School in San Bernardino and one of those children later died at a hospital, said by San Bernardino police chief Jarrod Burguan. Burguan said the shooter, Cedric Anderson of Riverside, walked into the classroom armed with a large caliber revolver and opened fire “without saying anything,” killing Karen Elaine Smith, 53, also of Riverside. Smith was a teacher at the school. The two students that were injured were standing behind Smith. Jonathan Martinez, 8 year old male, was pronounced dead at the Loma Linda University Medical Center. The other student (whose name  remains confidential),  a 9-year old boy, is listed in stable condition at the medical center, according to the hospital. Police believe the two children were not intended targets but instead were injured because they were near the teacher. In the classroom was 15 students grades 1 through 4 along with two adult aides.”This is a tragic incident that has befallen our city.” says San Bernardino Police Lt. Michael Madden.
North Park students were evacuated and reunited with their parents at nearby Cajon High School, police said. Video showed community members lining up to cheer on and give high-fives to students arriving at Cajon High. The courage and strength of the San Bernardino school systems and city lead to the remainder of the students walking out alive.