Harry Styles Falling Music Video

Clip from video.

Sasjah Dade

Clip from video.

Sasjah Dade, Journalist

Harry Styles, former member of One Direction, and now a successful single artist, has recently come out with a new album after his fantastic self-named album. The name of his new album is Fine Line and it has a new and different sound than his first album. Many of his songs go deep into his thoughts and feelings and explain some of his experiences and mistakes that have changed him. One of the fan favorites is falling. Harry Styles dropped a music video for this song on February 28. He announced the music video four days before the release day with a sneak peek into the video. Many fans anticipated the release of the video.

Sasjah Dade
Announcement of the Falling video on Twitter.

I had to talk to some of Harry Styles fans after the release of the video. I asked them for their opinions on the video and how the interpreted not only the song, but also the visuals that were provided in the music video. Jasmine Talley, a senior at Centennial High School, said “I really liked the falling music video because of how symbolic it was of pain, suffering, and the inability to escape these feelings of despair and regret.” In the video it shows Harry seemingly drowning and with the words of the song, it is as if he is drowning in despair. Talley also said “my interpretation was that the speaker in the song was going through a time of trial and regret because he lost a significant other that meant a lot to him. He saw his ultimate demise coming, but could not escape the consequences coming to him. In the end, he “drowned” in his sorrow (which may also be interpreted as his tears). He was unable to escape his feelings of overbearing sadness.” I completely love her interpretation of his song and music video. Harry seemed to have hurt a loved one of his and is drowning in utter regret and despair.

Sasjah Dade
Clip from the video.

I also talked to Anna Deleon who is also a fan of Styles. She said “Yes, I liked the music video because it was unique and very creative.” The visuals of the video were fantastic. He had a piano that as he played it, was spilling water out from the inside and filling the room. Deleon also said “In my opinion I feel like the song is about Harry’s struggle with who he is as a celeb and finding himself. It seems like he was struggling and acting like someone he wasn’t.” As the water began to cover Styles full body, he still continued to play. I think this symbolized that even though you are hurting you have to persevere and keep on going on with your life.

Sasjah Dade
Clip from the video.

Being a fan of Harry Styles, it was hard for me to comprehend the fact that Harry could possible hurt someone he loved. But as a listen to the song I see that it is possible that he may have betrayed a loved one in the worst possible way. He is in utter despair because of the mistake he made and completely blames himself. He feels that he has pushed her too far away and she will never come back to him. The video depicts this emotions as he drowns in his own regrets.