New Speed Bumps in the Student Parking Lot

Eleanor Roosevelts back student parking lot

Press Enterprise

Eleanor Roosevelt’s back student parking lot

Janelle Mejia, Journalist

The final semester of 2020, Eleanor Roosevelt high school has added speed bumps into the back student parking lot. With parents coming by to pick up and drop off their kids and students coming in and out of campus, Eleanor Roosevelt high school had petitioned for the addition of speed bumps within the back student parking lot in order to slow down traffic and encourage safety for the drivers and pedestrians.

When asking drivers and seniors at Eleanor Roosevelt high school, Jannat Abdallah and Madalie Gomez, if they believe that the addition of the speed bumps were a good idea, Jannat Abdallah stated, “I feel like its a good idea because it has good intentions but parents and students fly through them and I feel like it doesn’t make much of a difference.” Moreover, Madalie Gomez agreed and stated, “I just think it doesn’t help anything because when I’m out there I still see people speeding.”

Janelle Mejia
Seniors and drivers, Jannat Abdallah and Madalie Gomez, at Eleanor Roosevelt high school

On the other hand, when asking Amie Nguyen, another driver and senior at Eleanor Roosevelt high school, and Sydney Thompson, a junior and a student who gets dropped off in the back parking lot, about their thoughts on the new addition of speed bumps, Amie Nguyen stated, “I think its was a good idea to add the speed bumps because parents typically speed through the parking lot trying to pick up or drop off their kids from school. Personally it doesn’t affect me because I park in the back but it affects the parents who come by the front and students who walk across to the gate.” Moreover, Sydney Thompson agreed and said, “I think its was a good addition to the campus because everyone speeds coming in and out of the parking lot… I think its a start of a good system in our new parking lot.

Janelle Mejia
Amie Nguyen, a driver and senior at ERHS, and Sydney Thompson, a junior at ERHS.

With the new addition of speed bumps into the Eleanor Roosevelt high school’s back student parking lot, there are many mixed opinions and thoughts from students and parents whether they’re driving or simply walking into the school. However, the addition of the speed bumps within the parking lot has only good intentions and is ensuring that drivers and pedestrians in the Eleanor Roosevelt back student parking lot will be safe as they come in and out of campus.