Girls Varsity Basketball Update

GIrls+Basketball

Aurielle Whitehead

GIrls Basketball

Aurielle Whitehead, Journalist

Hello Mustangs! Many of our winter sports are starting up but there is one team I am going to focus on in particular. Girls Varsity Basketball started their league last week and they have already played King High School, Corona High School and Santiago High School. Their league record as of right now is two wins and one loss. Their most recent game was against Santiago and they won 65-43.

I asked senior, Rachel Nelson, what she is excited about this upcoming season, what she wants to improve on as a team for this season and do they have any pregame rituals they do before every game. Nelson responded, “I’m excited to see how our record will compare to last season. I believe we are able to have an even better record. I’m also excited to face our tougher competitors. Last season, we were close to beating a couple of teams and I believe that this season we can pull out on top for the win. Our team’s strongest and best trait is having solid defense, so we want to improve our offense more. We want to execute our plays better and decrease our turnovers to cause more scoring.” She also said, “We do not have any set rituals. We usually just sit together and talk about what we need to focus on in that particular game in order to perform our best and win. Right before the game starts we also chant ‘Big Bodies!’ a saying we made up last season to get us hype and have a fast start to our game.”

I also asked another Senior, Colleen Catapang the same questions and she replied, “As it is my last year playing, I’m most excited about all the memories to come and just have fun with my teammates. I think for this season, we want to improve on having more team bonding and really get to know each other.” Catapang also said, “We do not really we kind of just sit in the team room and talk about things we need to get done.”

Make sure you guys go support our Lady Mustangs in their next upcoming games! Their next game is on January 22 and they are playing against Centennial at Centennial.

Stevee Silva
Girls Basketball team in a huddle.
Stevee Silva
Girls during gameplay.
Aurielle Whitehead
Pictured Above (Left to Right), Rachel Nelson and Colleen Catapang.