ERHS Cheer Takes On JAMZ “Palms & Pyramids”

Ravyn Warner, Chief Sports Editor

This past weekend on Sunday, January 17, 2017, our ERHS varsity cheer squad traveled to the JAMZ “Palms & Pyramids” Competition hosted in “The Pyramid” at Cal State Long Beach. 28 talented young ladies competed in the Varsity Show-Cheer division at level 2. Once the clock hit noon, the girls were prepped, pumped and full of power performing a 2-minute routine including basket tosses, skills extended at the top of ponytails, and a killer dance to tie it all together! If you don’t know what any of this means just think a bunch of “hard stuff” on one big blue mat with 120 seconds to complete it and walk off with a smile! Considering that last year the cheer team competed at level one which consisted of thigh stands and single jumps, this year was a major come back for the squad as they regained respect and credit from cheer professionals, coaches, and various teams. At the conclusion of the event, ERHS Varsity Cheer  earned second place, with a score of 88, just placing 0.6 under West View High School. However, it is not over yet! ERHS Varsity Cheer will be competing in the JAMZ National Cheerleading Competition at the Orleans Arena located in Las Vegas, Nevada during February of 2017! Goodluck Mustangs!