The Roosevelt Review

Five Killed in Attack on Charitable Group in Afghanistan

Back to Article
Back to Article

Smokes rises after a huge explosion near the offices of the attorney general in Kabul, Afghanistan, Wednesday, May 8, 2019. Insurgents targeted the counterpart international organization located near the offices of the attorney general in the capital Kabul, said Afghan officials on Wednesday. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

Rahmat Gul

Rahmat Gul

Rahmat Gul

Audrey Simanton, Staff Writer

Five people were killed and 24 injured in a terrorist attack in Kabul, Afghanistan on Wednesday. The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility for the attack, in the aftermath of which four terrorists were also killed according to the Afghan government. Just before the attack, the attackers detonated an explosive-laden vehicle at the gates of non-governmental organization called  Counterpart International in the Afghan capital, said Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimy.

Four terrorists were able to enter the organization’s offices before Afghan special forces arrived. During a nearly five hour battle, all four were killed. Two hundred of the organization’s employees were rescued by Afghan forces, The death toll includes one woman and one special forces member. Taliban spokesman Zabuillah Mojahid claimed responsibility for the attack. The U.S. has been in on-again, off-again peace talks with the Taliban for months. On May 7, the US Embassy in Kabul published a security alert on its website, advising US citizens that “attacks can occue at any time without warning “, and requesting that travelers avoid large crowds despite an increased “police presence” in the area.

Senior Mackenzie Piel, gave her opinion on this horrible attack. “I think terrorist attacks like this are absolutely terrible because nobody is truly safe in the world anymore, and it is important to understand that this happens all around the world.”

Image result for five killed in attack in afgannistan

About the Writer
Audrey Simanton, Writer

My name is Audrey Simanton. From an early age, I really knew I loved writing. I had the motivation to always write new stories. I am so excited to have...