Beyonce’s Film: Homecoming

Rylie West, Writer

On April 17, Netflix released a film by the name of “Homecoming” which stands for Beyonce’s Homecoming performance after having twins on June 13, 2018. The film is a based on her 2018 Coachella performance in which she became the first African American female to headline the festival. Beyonce and Ed Burke were the directors of the film and it was produced by Parkwood entertainment. The film included the entire performance from Coachella, and later Beyonce released the “Homecoming” album that includes all the live performances’ audio. Her performance was unique because she used only African American performers from HBCU colleges from around the country. The production not only shows the months of preparation leading up to the Coachella performance, but the audition process and Beyonce’s personal journey. She had to lose weight considering she was over 200 pounds after having her twins. She changed her diet and her journey is completed after fitting into a costume from a previous performance.

Rotten Tomatoes rated Beyonce’s film a 91% audience score, and to get more perspective  I asked Kayla Singleton, a junior here on campus what her initial response was while watching the documentary, why she believes Beyonce only incorporated African Americans from HBCUs, and as the first African American to  headline if she did it justice. Singleton responded, “I was in awe. The visuals of the performance were amazing I was honestly overwhelmed by it. You can tell Beyonce and her team put a lot of work into it and it was interesting to see the behind the scenes of all that. I think she did it to bring positive representation of African Americans and HBCUs as well as showcase their artistry. Mostly to put a spotlight on people who are too often marginalized. Without a doubt, definitely. I can’t even think of anything she could have done better.” With that being said Mustangs go watch Beyonce’s film Homecoming on Netflix today.