The Roosey Report: Week 3/5-3/11

Jaelyn Fudge, Editor in Chief

This week was a  particularly noteworthy week here on campus, as ERHS’s Every 15 Minutes program presented their biennial simulation that addresses the deadly effects of driving under the influence. This program is dedicated  to targeting teens (primarily juniors  and seniors) who are  newly licsensed drivers, to emphasize the importance of being responsible when driving, and taking the necessary precautions when making life decisions. The  program is also  dedicated to leaving a heavy impact upon students, which is accomplished by choosing students to participate in the simulation. This includes a realistic (yet staged) car collision, by the hand of intoxicated drive, following  a memorial  service  to  honor the deceased students the  following day. Being a heavy sensitive topic, this simulation tends to evoke  ample emotions out  of various students due to the realism attached to the subject, and having to temporarily grasp with the possibility of losing friends & loved ones close to them.  As ERHS juniors and seniors  attended the two  day seminar, each one undeniably left with a more concise understanding of driving under the influence, and a deep  appreciation for their  loved ones around them. As we’re rapidly approaching the end of the school year within the  next couple of months, it’s important to  take note that while the upcoming celebrations (such as prom, graduation, and gradnite)  are to recognize the accomplishments and  hard work students have invested into this academic year, it’s important to remember that these privileges come with immense responsibility, and to not let recklessness or  careless decisions affect them. To read the in depth coverage of the event, check out the following article: Every 15 Minutes Recap also included in this week’s publication. Stay safe and have a great weekend Mustangs.