Club Spotlight: Speech Club

Noelle Rose Hardin, Staff Writer

Here at Eleanor Roosevelt High School, we have many clubs covering things from eating healthy to being all inclusive around campus. This edition of Club Spotlight will be covering our very own Speech Club.

Public speaking can be one of the most anxiety-inducing activities high schoolers participate it, whether it be presentations or acting in drama class. A lot of our students on campus struggle with speaking in front of people, so what better way to get comfortable than joining a club designed to help you get out of your shell and get you better acclimated to public speaking.

Kristal Lynn, the president of Speech Club, says the purpose of speech club is “mainly to get people who might not be comfortable with speaking to start talking in an environment where it’s more comfortable.” Having a club on campus where individuals can learn to open up and practice the right ways of public speaking, is extremely beneficial to students of all grades. Speech club has members who “might be more comfortable with speaking and they’ll mostly make longer speeches and others can basically just choose to watch if they still feel like they need some time to think about whether or not they should speak.”

Speech Club has “short form speech topics called table topics” which include controversial topics to mundane discussions that can lead to conclusions of all different kinds. I would highly suggest Speech Club to anyone struggling with public speaking or interested in doing speeches. This club is a great way to get your bearings around the world of public speaking.

Meetings are from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM after school on Thursdays in E103.