Club Spotlight: Girl Up

The+Girl+Up+club+logo+is+pictured+above.+

via @erhsgirlup on Instagram

The Girl Up club logo is pictured above.

Nayeli Rubio, Writer

According to Google, feminism is defined as “the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.” Over the years, the definition has evolved, and the terms “feminism” and “feminist” have oftentimes been treated as taboo. Girl Up is determined to change that.

Girl Up is one of the clubs here at our school. Its president, Giulina Berman, described it as a “female empowerment club…informing both the men and women of ERHS on how to apply equality to their livelihoods.” Students who attend this club will find that a typical meeting consists of learning about “a feminist topic and then a discussion period,” according to Berman. Discussion topics range from the #MeToo movement to feminist role models in the lives of participants.

Nayeli Rubio
Just last week the club donated menstrual products at the Corona Norco Teacher’s Association.

In the past, Girl Up conducted the Power to the Period fundraiser which collected female menstrual products which were then donated to homeless women in the community. Berman hopes to repeat the fundraiser this year, as well as the Second Great Awokening, which is “an event where members of the ERHS student body speak on topics they are passionate about.”

One of the main goals of the club is female empowerment, but its definitely not just for girls. Berman assures that is “is open to any person regardless of gender and sexuality, willing to educate themselves on social equality.”

The club meets every Friday in Macie Walker’s classroom, F212. The remind code is @rooseygirl, and the club’s Instagram username is @erhsgirlup.