This Week in Sports (2/25-3/1)

Robert Gonzales, Writer

What’s going on Mustangs! Here’s another segment of This Week in Campus Sports, where we cover all your favorite sports in one place.

All Teams Schedule for the Week of Feb 25 – Mar 03 can be found at https://erhsmustangathletics.com/events/02/2019

Photo credit to Eric VanderWeerd, Head Coach

This week’s sports highlight goes to our Mustang boys golf team. The boys rightfully won their first match of the season on Tuesday, February 26 against Chino Hills high school 202-229.

Our  202 is in fact a qualifying CIF score giving the boys that extra boost of motivation and desire to climb their way to the top. The boys will need 7 more qualifying scores in order to earn a spot in the CIF boys golf team playoffs.

Our Mustangs had 9 Hole scores with Kyle Harford at 38, Justin Dietrich 40, Ben Drury 41, Andrew Sifuentes 41, Jaryn Pavek 42, and Cole Garza at 43. Chino Hills low scores: Camarillo 42 , Ruiz 42.

The boys also went on to win their second match of the season on placing 1st with a CIF qualifying score of 211 at Los Serranos Country Club vs Chino Hills High School, Chino Hills placing 2nd with a score of 238. Our mustangs scores were Kyle Harford at 38, Cole Garza 40, Justin Deitrich 43, Ben Drury 44, Jaryn Pavek 46, and Andrew Sifuentes at 48.

On their third game, the boys had a great run out there and performed well overall at the Ontario Christian Invitational Golf Tournament placing placing third with 25 schools and 34 teams in the field. The Varsity Boys shot 398 which also earned them two more CIF qualifying rounds. (8 are needed to qualify for the CIF Team Golf Playoffs). Roosevelt had six golfers compete in the JV tournament where they earned a 4th place finish.