Book Recommendation on Wattpad

Cher Wang, Writer

I am writing this because I have realized now that we and the current generation are more technologically-oriented and everyone is on the go, busy and running from place to place. This prevents many people from actually going to a library and really sitting down to read books that they like. Hence, I’ve picked out one random book that popped up on my recommendations list from Wattpad so that people can read on their free time if they don’t have the time to go to a library. Before we move on to the book, I want to remind readers that this is clearly an opinion but if you’re interested in it, go feel free  check it out. They might take you on a journey that you may have never experienced before.

Okay, the book I would like to recommend this week is Please Let Me Live a Lazy Life(PLMLLL) by YohoAruto. This book is a Chinese webnovel inspired book that has one of the many formatting structures that starts off with someone dying and they reincarnate into another world. If you want to find some examples of Chinese webnovels then you can go and check out webnovel.com that mainly use their website to spread Chinese webnovel translations and original works to the English speaking countries. (please note that webnovel.com is a privately hosted website so please make sure you are not on the school’s network to use this website for those who are ERHS students)

PLMLLL is the story of a boy named Tanaka that lives a generically lazy life. But before that, he dies while someone pushes him in front of a truck. Not only did he die, but he also reincarnates into an otome game.

*Side note: An otome game, according to Wikipedia (the closest definition that could be found), is a story-based game targeting women as their audience. It is also known as a maiden game because it involves a romantic plot that depends on choices you make for a certain scene in order to develop a romantic relationship between the female player that you play as with one of several male characters as your capture target. You get to choose whichever male character you would like to chase after.*

This game was called “The Noblest of Love” and it was the most innovative game of the year when Tanaka was still alive. But Tanaka doesn’t really care about being reincarnated into an otome game because he just wants to sleep and therefore, he upsets his whole household. He is banished from the main estate and off the other side of the capital, making him happy that he wouldn’t have to hear his family talk about his listlessness.

PLMLLL is not just how Tanaka lives a lazy life but it gives more exposure to the LGBTQ+ community. It shows that love has no boundaries towards genders and you can love whoever you want. Also, it addresses many topics of political wars and discrimination that we have today and is still a reoccurring event. YohoAruto gives a twist to the story by adding fantasy elements such as magic, cultivation, and transmigration so people won’t get bored by having not much of a plot climax.

PLMLLL really exposes the many sides of human nature along so this story is a good recommendation for those who like fantasy.

One of YohoAruto’s followers, LadyLazealot posted in her page that “Tanaka is a genius but very subtle and humble”. This shows that unlike the generic Chinese webnovel protagonist that is usually portrayed as an overpowered and arrogant prick, Tanaka, even though he is intelligent, he still has a flaw as a human being and we can’t help but relate. The stereotypes of intelligent people being more likely to stereotype is undiscovered in this book because we get to see Tanaka’s insight on the matters that are presented to him and how he reacts to the situation.

The book is also a boy’s love book so people may relate to it and support the LGBTQ+ community. It may be cheesy for those who are just introduced to this kind of genre and the way Chinese webnovel inspired works look like so for those who want to read this book, please keep in mind that the story is still in development and the story is not finished. It is an ongoing story that, even though may just have nine chapters, each chapter is really long and if we were to compare it on a Google Docs form, the latest chapter is 51 pages long because YohoAruto didn’t plan on writing that much but only 10 pages. The author gives quality work that makes people continue to wait for the next updates and with the chapters being long, it will make suffice with waiting for the next updates. Please give the author some support if you decide to stay and see the book to the end.

That’s all for this week’s article and I hope to see you guys next week with another update!