Democratic Candidates Running for President in 2020

Rylie West, Writer

As of today, there are 12 Democratic Candidates that have announced their campaign to run for the 2020 election against standing Republican President, Donald Trump. The Candidates include: Senator Cory Booker from New Jersey, former Secretary of housing Julian Castro, former Maryland Representative John Delaney, California Senator Kamala Harris, Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, author Marianne Williamson, business man Andrew Yang, South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg, New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, and Hawaiian Representative Tulsi Gabbard.

With the election being over a year away in November of 2020, that means many of our ERHS students will be able to participate in the upcoming election. The Roosevelt Review asked sophomore Alyssa Watson and Junior Kayla Singleton if they will be eligible to participate in the 2020 election, in addition to extrended series of questions inquiring about their political beliefs.

Alyssa Watson said, “No I will not be able to vote for the 2020 election, but if I could vote, I would vote for the Democratic party because their views align with mine. My top three candidates would be Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, and Bernie Sanders. I picked two women because I want to see how a woman with views like mine will work in office. I would choose Bernie because he believes in things like free healthcare for all. The front runners I believe will be Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders, because they are well known.”

Kayla Singleton responded by saying, ” Yes I will be able to vote. I’m voting for the Democratic candidate because Donald Trump is the Republican one so… Kamala Harris and Bernie Sanders is my man also, I haven’t heard much about other people but there is some good candidates that I have to do more research on. Oh and Cory Booker!”

Mustangs, stick around to see how the 2020 election plays out, and come back to The Roosevelt Review for additional updates on the candidates and  upcoming debates!

Front Runner Bernie Sanders
Kamala Harris