Girls Water Polo Senior Night

Rylie West, Writer

Our ERHS Mustangs Girls Water Polo team played Martin Luther King High School this past Tuesday, January 29th, for their Senior Night. This years water polo team has six seniors: Sophia Torres, Victoria Bondar, Casey Malone, Sandy Moreno, Ivette Saldana, and Rosalinda Zatarain. Our Mustangs battled hard, but lost 8-10 in double overtime. Earlier this season the team defeated King 13-10 and went into this game, their record was 19-3 overall, and 5-1 in league play. After losing to King, their league record became 5-2 and it became necessary for them to win against Corona High School in league finals on Thursday. Our Lady Mustangs, took down Corona 17-7 and will be advancing to CIF with an overall record of 20-4 and 6-2. Girls Water Polo is ranked third in CIF Southern Section division five and the girls are expecting to go far in the post season.

The Roosevelt Review got the chance to ask Senior Captain Casey Malone, What it means to be a senior on the team, how the last four years at ERHS have changed her, and what are her expectations for post season. Casey said, “Being a senior on the team for me means that I am looked at as an example because I’ve been on varsity since my freshman year and was a starter for all for years of high school. The last four years at ERHS have been great. Being on a team helped me form bonds outside of the friends I already had and I’ve become close with people I probably would have never met if I didn’t play water polo. Yesterday, we had league finals and we got 3rd. We are expecting to go all the way in CIF.”

Kate Hove
Seniors, from left to right: Sophia Torres, Victoria Bondar, Casey Malone, Sandy Moreno, Ivette Saldana, and Rosalinda Zatarain

Casey Malone

Casey Malone