Club Spotlight: Rubik’s Cube Club

Club Spotlight: Rubiks Cube Club

Alyssa White, Staff Writer

It’s no secret that the “cool kids” on campus are the ones who can solve a Rubik’s Cube in under a minute. ERHS has a brand new club that was just approved, called “Rubik’s Cube Club” and it seems to be an interesting addition to the several clubs established here oncampus.

Carson Chubbuck, Vice President of the club, says that the whole reason why he started Rubik’s Cube Club was to spread cubing around Roosevelt.

“I’ve been solving cubes for about seven years now and whenever I gets overwhelmed with school, I simply reaches out to grab a cube and de-stress.”

The club meets every Tuesday after school in room C203 where they help teach others how to solve variations of cubes as well as include instruction sheets to help guide people on the path to solving. The club also has races and contests to see who the ultimate “Rubik’s Cube King” is. The club is open to anyone interested in making new friends and having fun struggling while trying to learn how to solve the Rubik’s cube.

Mr. Wilson, a math teacher at ERHS, has been assigning Rubik’s cubes to his classes for over eight years and incorporates solving a Rubiks Cube into his students final. Mr. Wilson says that he is excited about the club and that he assigns the task “because it’s not something that you can necessarily learn in 10 minutes or fake.” He also says that when students learn how to solve the cube, it shows “perseverance and determination like a lot of things in life” as well as showing them “that when they accomplish this, they can do anything.”

Sara Land, a junior here at Roosevelt, is not in the club but says that “It would be kinda cool and it would look good on college applications. Plus, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to solve my 3×3 Rubik’s cube and I recently succeeded. My time is estimated to be under a minute and now I’m currently learning how to solve the 4×4.”