Is Daylight Saving Time Over?

Andrew Mendoza, Writer

Jared Bowen

Daylight Saving Time is being debated over with questions about whether or not it should be kept, or opted out? This year, it started on March 11 at 2:00 am and ended on November 4 at 2:00 am. The bill was recently  sent to Gov. Jerry Brown for consideration. “This bill creates a pathway for California to stay on daylight saving time year-round,” Assemblyman Kansen Chu (D-San Jose) told his colleagues before they voted 63-4 to approve his bill.

Prop 7 introduced the idea of permanent Daylight Saving Time. It reads, “Prop. 7 is both an advisory measure and a change in law. It encourages the legislature to consider instituting year-round Daylight Savings Time. It would change current law by requiring a two-thirds vote of the Legislature to change the period of Daylight Savings Time, to make it year round, or to stay on standard time. However, even if two-thirds of the legislature passes such a bill, the change to year-round Daylight Savings Time would still have to approved by a vote of Congress and a Presidential signature.”

Speaking with students about the matter I asked how you feel about Daylight Saving Time? I spoke with Jared Bowen, a Junior at Eleanor Roosevelt High School, and he stated, ” I think that it should stay. Since it is one hour behind, I feel like it gives people better sleep and time to operate their work.” He later commented that he barely realized that people were voting yes for it to change.

Should Daylight Saving Time Stay or is it time to say goodbye? Comment down below your thoughts Mustangs!