Girls Golf Makes Roosevelt History

Nathalie Jabonero (pictured) celebrates her accomplishment  with her coach.

Mustang Athletics

Nathalie Jabonero (pictured) celebrates her accomplishment with her coach.

Nayeli Rubio, Writer

Freshman golfer, Nathalie Jabonero, made school history Oct. 17 when she competed in the Big VIII League Final Tournament, finishing in fourth place. She is the first girl on the ERHS golf team to qualify for the CIF Girls Golf Playoffs.

Jabonero was not the only one to go down in school history at this tournament. Nia Fontelera also earned All League Honors, finishing in seventh place.  Denise Chan and Elizabeth Ramos are both sophomores who qualified for the League Final Tournament in Girls Golf. The four of them together accomplished historical feats for our school.

Our accomplished girl golfers qualify for the League Final Tournament for the first time in school history.

Nathalie Jabonero worked hard for her accomplishments, gaining the support of her team who pushed her to work hard. She said “They’ve been my moral support, basically.”

She feels good about her accomplishments, gaining recognition from those around her. “My parents are proud of me, my coaches are proud of me… I just can’t wait to move on next year.”

As a freshman, she has plenty of time to improve and move forward in golf. She has been playing the sport for about three years, but only got serious about it in the last month. She “would love to do it for a long time.”

She would like to thank her coach, Eric Vanderweerd, who pushed her and trained her which led to her advance to the CIF playoffs.

It seems that Big VIII League Final Tournament was filled all around with the accomplishments of our Mustangs.