Homecoming Game

Homecoming+Game

Xzavier Contreras, Writer

As we near homecoming, we’re holding an annual homecoming football game. This year we play against Santiago.

With the whole team excited for the game, as it’s a playoff game, meaning if they go to the playoffs, then win those games, they go to state. A big game for our school.

With the game going on, Roosevelt making the first touchdowns, the crowd seemed excited by the entertaining, and exciting game. Santiago catching up tieing up the score 7-7. Later Mustangs gaining 7 more points making it 14-7 .

Unfortunately right at half time, the game was shut down by an approaching lightning storm. With flash seen in the distance and loud thunder being heard, the stadium was evacuated and the game being shut down by the rain.

Most of the students went inside the gym, waiting to get picked up by their ride.

Speaking to some students, most were definitely scared, as the lightning seemed just to appear.

Justin Lee, a Junior, had this to say,

“The game was good, until the rain came in. It was scary, then they started evacuating everyone.”

The next day the game was resumed, the teams played in the rain. With much effort and intensity, the ending score being 21-20, Santiago unfortunately taking the victory against our Mustangs.

Much of the team extremely disappointed about the lose.

Alloysious Liufau had this to say,

“We performed good, but broke down toward the end, after yesterday our mentality broke down. I performed god, made a couple of tackles. We need to improve our teamwork, communication, keep our composure as a team.”

The team did lose their cool towards the end, giving the other team some advantages. Not performing as well as the night before.

Nathan Michel says

“I think our team, we just lost our momentum from last night, and I think we didn’t carry it over, didn’t focus, we felt like we were gonna walk all over them, we didn’t stay together as a unit and that’s honestly why we lost the game as the end. I think if we together, played a team, we would’ve came out with a victory. We made dumb decisions at the end of the game, costful penalties, we gave them 60 yards at the end of the game, 4 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and I think  if we just executed and did what we had to do on both sides of the ball, even on special teams we could’ve had a different outcome of the game.”

The teams shift from last night to the next day did have some effect on their performance the next day.

Aj Martinez says

“We obviously didn’t perform the best that we could, we have been a much better team in the past and we lost this game, obviously not good. Most definitely we lost our momentum. I feel I could’ve performed much better, run harder on a couple of plays, make a couple of tackles but I mean I was locked down the whole night.”

Hopefully our team can come back from this unfortunate loss. Most likely they will as they are a strong unit.