Disneyland vs Six Flags: The Ultimate Senior Showdown

Students & Staffs’ thoughts on the recent Grad Nite decision.

Flyer created by Joshua Dineros.

For the last four years, many seniors have been looking forward to this day of adventure at the end of the school year here at ERHS. Since our school’s history, grad nite had always been celebrated at Disneyland. Now, for the class of 2019, there has been a big a commotion over the recent decision on the location of grad nite: Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Universal Studios Hollywood were the options given to the seniors to pick for where they want to celebrate their grad nite. After a survey that was posted for three weeks, the decision was made, and Six Flags was chosen. So, the custom of grad nite at Disneyland was broken.

There are many mixed emotions among the seniors of Eleanor Roosevelt High School and we had a chance to ask some of them about their thoughts on the grad nite decision.

Pictured: Claire Reyes.

Claire Reyes, a prominent member of class council from her sophomore through senior year, has expressed her concern over the grad nite decision. When we asked her her thoughts on the decision, she said, “Growing up, I thought I would be going to Disneyland, but I guess not.”

Pictured: Bryson Galvin.

We also got a chance to talk to Bryson Galvin, a senior here at ERHS, and similarly he said, “When you think of grad nite, you think of Disneyland.”

Although, there is a unifying sense of disappointment, Language Arts II teacher, Mrs. Hernandez says however, “I believe it is a good decision, as long as the students voted on [Magic Mountain]…then that’s where they should go.”

Pictured: Jessica Verduzco.

Likewise, one last senior we talked with, Jessica Verduzco, brought a new light when she said, “I could care less, to be honest…I could go [to Disneyland] whenever I want.”

With differing opinions swirling around our campus, it is safe to say that a decision was made through popular vote, so this year the seniors will attend Six Flags Magic Mountain’s grad nite.