42nd District Candidate Visits Eleanor Roosevelt

Jessica Jones, Staff Writer

Last week, May 16, running congresswoman Julia Peacock stopped by Eleanor Roosevelt to partake in a Q & A session with some AP Gov students.

Before the Q & A began, Peacock started off with telling the audience a bit about herself and why she decided to run for the 42nd District Representative against the 25-year incumbent, Ken Calvert. She is a public school teacher that centers her campaign mostly around educational opportunities for all, and human/civil rights

One of the many things that make her different from other running candidates is that she strongly believes in connecting with the people she would represent if she were to win the election. While most representatives place signs up of their names, Peacock believes that to be a waste of time, and instead of that, the time could be spent making personal connections and having actual conversations about  the issues she wants to bring up in congress.

Julia Peacock was inspired to run for congress when she realized that our representative-as well as other representatives, were not responsive, and that they had become so comfortable in their seats that listening to what the district had to say about political matters was no longer a huge concern for them.

Some of the questions she answered revolved around issues such as, teacher pay raise, gun reform, prison reform, women’s rights, and minority rights.