The Roosevelt Review

Benedict Cumberbatch Will Reject Roles if Female Co-Stars Do Not Get Equal Pay

Back to Article
Back to Article

image from NY Daily News

image from NY Daily News

image from NY Daily News

Rich Wang, Staff Writer

Benedict Cumberbatch is willing to risk his career in favor of pay equality in Hollywood.

In recent months it was revealed that Mark Wahlberg earned $1.5 million for reshoots of “All the Money in the World,” compared to co-star Michelle Williams, who made about $1,000. Similarly, Netflix has agreed to backpay Claire Foy £200,000 after she earned substantially less than Matt Smith even though she was the lead character in “The Crown.”

Cumberbatch, who is currently promoting his new series “Patrick Melrose,” has made his feelings about discrepancies in male and female actors wages clear in a new interview in Radio Times Magazine. The “Avengers: Infinity War” star stated that he’ll turn down any job that pays him more than a female co-star.

“Equal pay and a place at the table are the central tenets of feminism,” he said. “Look at your quotas. Ask what women are being paid, and say: ‘If she’s not paid the same as the men, I’m not doing it.'”

He went on reveal that he would be using his new production company, SunnyMarch, to create more female-focused dramas. “I’m proud that [his partner] Adam [Ackland] and I are the only men in our production company; our next project is a female story with a female lens about motherhood, in a time of environmental disaster.”

He added, “If it’s centered around my name, to get investors, then we can use that attention for a raft of female projects. Half the audience is female!”

His comments come after women rallied at Cannes Film Festival this weekend calling for gender equality in filmmaking. 82 women took to the red carpet to represent the 82 films by female directors that have been in contention for prizes since 1946, compared to 1,645 by male directors. The group are calling for 50:50 representation by the 2020 Cannes Film Festival.

Cate Blanchett, the president of the 2018 competition jury, released a statement regarding the subject. “Women are not a minority in the world, yet the current state of the industry says otherwise.”

About the Writer
Rich Wang, Staff Writer

Hello. I'm a senior at ERHS. As I am in the class of 2018, I will no longer be a member after the 2017-2018 school year is over, so I'll do the best I...