Massive E.Coli Outbreak

Gisselle Guerrero, Staff Editor / Writer

There has been a massive E.Coli outbreak and they have raced it back to romaine lettuce from, Yuma, Arizona. It has killed it’s first victim in the outbreak which now affects a sickening total of 121 people in 25 states.

The California Department of Public Health confirmed that the resident that died from the illness was linked back the romaine lettuce being grown in Yuma, Arizona. Symptoms of E. coli occur about three to four days after the consumption of the bacteria in the romaine lettuce. Usually people will recover in five to seven days, however in other cases people develop kidney failure. The kidney failure is a disease known as hemolytic uremic syndrome. The symptoms of E. coli are; stomach cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting. “I did not know about the romaine lettuce, and I work at a school with children,” said Ms. Martha Guerrero. This type of outbreak is dangerous especially when almost everybody and anybody is exposed to it. “Once we heard about it, we cleared all the romaine lettuce and check up to see if it affected any of the students.”

Now all the infected romaine has been taken care of, so the romaine lettuce in your grocery stores is safe to buy and eat. “It’s good that the CDC took care of everything fast before more could have been infected.” Martha added, “We should be more careful of our produce, that way we don’t get another incident like this again.”

PC: Google Images