The Golden State Killer Caught

Fatimah Jackson, Staff Writer

Nearly three decades ago, Southern California lived in fear of the Golden State killer. During the late 70s and mid 80s, the women in that region lived in terror of a serial rapist, killer and burglar.

Over the span of nine years, about fifty women were assaulted and police still suspect that there may be more victims. Though, Sacramento police made an official arrest on Wednesday April 25. The Golden State Killer was officially identified as Joseph James DeAngelo, a former police officer.

Investigators were able to like DNA evidence from the Golden State Killer case to DeAngelo after he was caught for a robbery. After running his DNA, they found it was a match for about 45 of the sexual assaults done by the Golden State Killer. After that, police were able to make a match for the murders and robberies. Prior to his official arrest, police had kept DeAngelo under surveillance for about a week, after finding that his DNA was a match. Sacramento county sheriff, Scott Jones, shared with the public about the arrest itself. Saying that, “It happened almost instantaneously,” and “He was very surprised.”

Photo by NBC San Diego

In light of recent events, I asked ERHS students what their thoughts were about the Golden State KillerĀ being caught.

With Angel Sykes and Annabelle Wells summing up perfectly what we all may feel about the arrest: “I hope he rots in prison,” and “I’m glad that they got him off of the streets.”

There is nothing being said, for now, about DeAngelo’s trial or what sentence he could be taking. Though it is without a doubt that he may be facing a death penalty from all the rapes he’s allegedly committed and all the lives he’s possibly taken. The victims of the Golden State Killer can rest easy, knowing that the man responsible is behind bars.