The Roosevelt Review

The Rachael Black Memorial Regatta: good fun and excitement

It's float or sink for ERHS Physics students as they attempt race against one another with their man-made cardboard boats in this year's 12th annual race.

Created by Danny Nguyen using the Canva program

Danny Nguyen and Jaelyn Fudge

[Insert photo gallery of the boat race here on top]

Friday, April 13th: the day ERHS Physics students had been waiting for or been dreading against. Why? Because that’s the day in which they finally get to put their cardboard boats that they worked on for the past few weeks into the school’s pool for the 12th annual cardboard boat race, with this year’s event certainly one to remember for the books.

It was quite windy at the event and might have even affected the outcomes of the races, causing some boats to veer into each other and others to simply veer off course, going diagonally to the other end of the pool rather than straight.

This time around, the race was renamed “The Rachael Black Memorial Regatta” in honor of the Physics teacher who tragically died from a car accident a few months ago, during winter break before the start of the 2nd semester.

Black was instrumental in the creation of the event when ERHS first opened its doors back in 2006, and because of her efforts, she kept it alive ever since.

For the 2017-2018 school year, the race was exciting, thrilling and enjoyable as Physics students were to see all their hard work and effort pay off as they attempted to move their man-made vessels to and fro the pool without having it sink. 

They could also, of course, rest easy and finally let go of all the stress felt as they tried to finish up their masterpieces, so that’s a good thing too. [Insert student quote about how she/he felt the event went or how they felt about the event and reacted]

The winner of the event was [Insert names of students of group name that won the competition] after successfully floating their boat after two rounds. Runner-ups were [insert names of runner-ups and their group name or boat]

[Insert picture of winners and runner-ups].

Fortunately, the majority of the boats built did not sink, although there’s no denying that there would be a few flops. [Insert the number of boats that made it and the boats that did not make it if possible ]

The event was organized by Physics teachers Mr. Varela, and Mr. Gonzalez,  and Mr. Harp, who were in charge of the event, taking on the duties that Mrs. Black previously had.

Students brought their boats to the pool early.

Any ERHS teachers who wanted to take their students to watch the race during 1st and 2nd lunch were invited to do so and received wristbands from Harp a day before the race. Security checks these wristbands to allow entrance to the event. The maximum capacity for the spectators was 300 up on the stands.

The event was not just about the boats created by students from the AP and regular Physics classes. The AP Physics students started the event off by attempting to successfully walk on water using devices that they had created.

Students had interesting experiences during the event and prior to the event in constructing their boats [Insert quotes from students about how they felt before, during, after event ended].

[Insert picture here]

The event was planned as such. [Insert quote from Harp about how the event is ran and planned out].

Physics teachers had a field day tackling the event. [Insert quote from Mr. V about how he feels about the event and his perspective in running the event as full time teacher compared to last time he helped with the event as a student teacher to Mrs. Black the last school year].

To, of course, float a boat, Physics students had to construct one, doing so by following advice from their Physics teachers and using their creativity and applying what they’ve learned in Physics. There was a process that they needed to follow [Insert quote from students and/or teachers about the process of building the boat and the guidelines and rules of doing so]

It was not an easy task to do build a boat. [Insert quotes from students and/or teachers about the challenges of building the boat.]

Students did, however, manage to take away some things from the event. [Insert quotes from students about the event and what they’ve learned, the insight they’ve gained].

[Insert picture here]

At the end of the event and at the end of the day, for that matter, what Harp takes away from the event is [Insert quote from Harp here about what he’s learned]

[insert quote from Mr. V about what he takes away from the event].

[Insert quote from students about the event and what they learned].

About the Writer
Danny Nguyen, President/Editor-In-Chief

Lazy. Unmotivated. Confused. Uncertain. These are the qualities that define me, that I want to get rid of. Life, I’ve realized is much more than sitting around and doing nothing, things that I’ve always prone to showcasing, whether it be at home or out there in the world. There are things I must do, dreams I must make true, feelings I must feel and take in. So I’ve decided to harness my abilities of the English language and use them to my advantage as I become involved in the revived ERHS school newspaper The Roosevelt Review, being a co-editor for the overall news and features section and freelance school-bound journalist. Writing and reading, they have always been my true callings in life, and might I say, the reasons why I first decided to go on this incredible journey of reporting for the school newspaper.

Happiness and Kindness and Compassion and Honesty are aspects I try to abide by to fight off my inner demons and help the world become a better place. I long to help others and find certain truths the nature of mankind and humanity. And what better place to start then with a mini notepad and pencil and voice memo recorder and keen focus, things associated with Journalism?

And so I hope you, my fellow students, enjoy what I have to offer and share, as well as follow me on my quest of self-knowledge. Here goes nothing.