Enough Is Enough

Fatimah Jackson, Staff Writer

Last Saturday on March 24th, the March for Our Lives demonstration occurred in Washington D.C. The march happened as a result to gun violence in schools, and all over America. The rally was mostly student held, but many adults joined the demonstration to support the youths marching. As tensions in our country rise because of the outbreaks of mass shootings and the push for Congress to either enforce stricter gun regulations, many people are choosing a side towards the issue. There is beginning to be a split between most Americans now that the issue of gun control is finally being addressed head on. But it isn’t that simple, is it?

What many adults, may not understand is that we, the generations of children in school currently, are the ones affected by the regulation of gun control. It isn’t just some sort of liberal-plot to ban the second amendment, it’s about protecting our children, our friends and family.

Photo by Fatimah Jackson

I asked a few ERHS students about what they though about gun violence, and many had differing views. One student shared that, “People should be looking forward to school, and not feel threatened or unsafe.”

Another student, Kyle Abblett, thought that, “Well if you look at the real issues, it’s just school shootings. I definitely believe there should be stricter gun laws, of course, but also a larger police force on campus. We have so many kids here that it just doesn’t seem likely that the security guards would be able to protect us from a mass shooting, since they can’t carry guns themselves.”

While another student felt that, “the real problem are students. Start with them; it goes all the way back to bullying. Students are the ones capable of influencing their peers the most, so I think if we’re just nicer to people, then it could potentially help a lot.” Despite their differing views on what causes gun violence, they all agreed that the March for Our Lives demonstration on Saturday was “amazing” and “totally great”.

They felt that, the rally was Americas youth coming together to show that this issue will not be ignored. “Too many kids have died so far, and like, nobody is just going to forget that. We’re not asking for no guns at all, but it’d be cool if everyone could go to school and not have to be worried that someone is gonna shoot up the place.”, shared Abblett. “Only time will tell if people are going to keep pressing the issue.”