Chicago: The Musical

Alyssa White, Staff Writer

This past Tuesday I attended the live musical Chicago at the Fox Theater in Riverside, California!

Mrs. Sandoval

ERHS history teachers Troy Pourchot and Amanda Sandoval provided free entrance to see the musical for only a few handful of students.

I spoke to Sandoval about the experience and she says,

This is my 4th year participating with Students on Broadway at Fox Theater. I love bringing my students, some of which who have never been to a real Broadway play before. My favorite part of the experience is talking to students at intermission and hearing that they are enjoying it. It’s the BEST!

The musical took place this past Tuesday evening, April 16th, 2019 and everyone was filled with excitement and anticipation. I interviewed Jazmyn Andrews, ERHS junior, who attended the musical with me and asked for her thoughts about the event.

Jazmyn Andrews

For those that have never seen or heard of the musical Chicago, here is a brief summary of events as occurred in the show.

Main character and married woman, Roxie Hart, has been convicted of murder for her lover who attempted to abandon her after an affair took place. She is then sent to jail where we meet Billy Flynn, the lawyer that can “win any trial,” where he conjures up lie after lie to get Roxie on good terms in the public eye and not convicted of a hanging.

Jazmyn Andrews and myself

While in jail, Roxie meets other powerful female characters who have also been incarcerated for murdering their husbands. One character claims she killed her husband because he “popped” gum obnoxiously. This takes place in the famous “Cell Block Tango” routine, where each of the women take turns defending themselves and their murderous actions.

As the plot thickens we see tensions rise and secrets slip up until at the very end… well Mustangs, you’ll just have to watch the musical to see how it ends, no spoilers here!

As a whole, the musical was very entertaining: filled with scandal, murder, deceit, adultery, and wicked humor. I enjoyed watching the musical in the beautiful and famous Fox Theatre in Riverside, California and I would happily watch it again!