Best Rom-Com (Romance Comedy) Anime

Priscilla Ngantung

A compilation of rom-com anime series. Fruits Basket, Maid Sama, Ao Haru Ride, Kamisama Kiss, ReLIFE, and Kimi ni Todoke (from left to right).

Priscilla Ngantung, Journalist

Besides the usual action-packed, psychological, or supernatural anime series that garner lots of popularity, the romance genre—specifically the romance comedy genre—is just as beloved. Rom-com animes are able to be lighthearted, sentimental, hilarious, and romantic all at the same time. Some may even agree that this genre of animes can be enjoyed by just about anyone.

“Not all of us like our romance filled with nothing but love and flowers and soft music,” said DarkSkyLady from Nerdist. “We need the comedy, the klutzy, the hilarity, so romantic comedy animes are the best kind, particularly when they’re heavy on the comedy.”

As a fan of this genre of anime myself, I have seen a number of rom-com series. With that being said, here is a list of my top 15 rom-com anime shows thus far!

10. Kimi ni Todoke

Kimi ni Todoke. (Kimi ni Todoke)

For those looking for a sweet anime with a cute, yet unintentionally funny female protagonist and a kind male protagonist, then definitely give this show a try. Sawako is a gentle girl who is feared by her classmates because of her resemblance to Sadako from “The Ring;” Kazehaya is a popular student at her school who helps her to try and make friends. Kimi ni Todoke is definitely the most light-hearted of the rom-com shows.

9. ReLIFE

ReLIFE. (ReLIFE)

This story follows unemployed 27-year-old Arata Kaizaki who is given the opportunity to change his life by reliving his high school years. He takes a pill that turns his appearance into that of a 17-year-old. He must learn to adjust to his new life while getting along with his classmates. Although I found half of the show a bit slow-paced and quite irrelevant to the whole of the story, I was ultimately glad that I had finished the whole show. The conclusion of the plot is what got me to love the story a lot more. While the romance isn’t all too exciting, it still is cute and is worth the 17-episode watch.

8. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War. (Kaguya-Sama: Love is War)

Before watching this show, prepare yourself to laugh a lot! This show is definitely comedic and is bound to have you entertained all throughout. Miyuki Shirogane and Kaguya Shinomiya lead the student council at a rich, elite private school. The two have a mutual crush, but both are too proud and stubborn to confess to each other, so both parties try to trick each other into making the first move and confessing. Their amusing antics are a must-watch!

7. Akatsuki no Yona

Akatsuki no Yona. (Akatsuki no Yona)

This show is a coming-of-age story that follows the sheltered Princess Yona who is forced to flee from her kingdom after the murder of her father. She escapes with the help of Son Hak, who is her childhood friend and bodyguard. If you are looking for a show with a heroine who is aware of her weaknesses and is willing to learn to grow stronger, then this show is for you. Not only do the protagonists have great character development, but the side characters also have great background stories and you learn to love the entire cast.

6. Kamisama Hajimemashita

Kamisama Kiss. (Kamisama Kiss)

Nanami Momozono is a high school girl who is forced onto the streets after her father’s gambling habits cause her to lose her home. One night, she saves a man who, as thanks, gives his “home” to her. This “home”, however, is a rundown shrine. There, she meets a fox spirit and seals a contract with him.  This show is definitely one of the more lighthearted rom-com and has hilarious moments and characters. The show is everything you want in a rom-com anime—charming, romantic, and comedic, and best of all, with a satisfying ending.

5. Noragami

Noragami. (Noragami)

Yato is a minor god who dreams of becoming a well-respected deity. Hiyori Iki is a middle schooler who saves Yato from a car accident by taking the hit for him. Though she survives, the incident caused her soul to become loose and form the habit of separating her soul from her physical body, and she goes back to Yato demanding that he turns her back to normal. The show is more on the darker side, but Yato is definitely a loveable character who provides a lot of comic relief. If you want something with a little bit more action and more comedy, then definitely give this show a try.

4. Ouran High School Host Club

Ouran High School Host Club. (Ouran High School Host Club)

The show follows Haruhi Fujioka who is attending an elite private school on scholarship. While looking for a quiet place to study she encounters the Ouran High School Host Club, a group of boys who cater to the girls in the school. After destroying an expensive vase, and thinking she is a boy, the leader of the club, Tamaki, has her work as a host to pay off her debt. This reverse harem has everything you want in a lighthearted and hilarious rom-com and is deemed as one of the greatest rom-com anime!

3. Kaichou wa Maid Sama

Kaichou wa Maid Sama. (Kaichou wa Maid Sama)

Misaki Ayuzawa is the first female president of her high school, which only recently transitioned from an all-boys school to a co-ed school. She is feared by the male students and is always trying her best to make the school more comfortable for the female students. Although being ruthless and strict at school, she works a part-time job as a maid in a maid cafe to help her struggling family. However, the popular Usui Takumi finds about this, and being the only one who knows her secret, he uses it to grow closer to her. This show is extremely funny and enjoyable to watch, especially the relationship between Misaki and Usui.

“My favorite anime is definitely Kaichou wa Maid Sama,” said my sister, Stacey Ngantung. “It has a good storyline, hilarious moments, great character development, and all the feels!”

2. Ao Haru Ride

Ao Haru Ride. (Ao Haru Ride.)

Futaba Yoshioka was popular among the boys in middle school and was outcasted by the girls for this reason. However, she was able to set their opinions aside because the only opinion that mattered to her was Kou Tanaka, a classmate with whom she shares many precious moments with. She and Kou planned to meet at the summer festival, however, he never shows up. In high school, she decides to change her image by showing a tomboyish side to her and making sure that none of the attention is on her. One day, she encounters the only boy she ever liked, but now he goes by the name Kou Mabuchi and is a lot more aloof and cold.

This series definitely has a special place in my heart, as I have rewatched it about 5+ times and also read the manga! Sure, it may be your stereotypical rom-com anime, but it hits all of the clichés perfectly with its own refreshing twist, and you just can’t help but love the interactions between Futaba and Kou!

1. Fruits Basket

Fruits Basket. (Fruits Basket.)

Fruits Basket follows the story of Honda Tohru, who is found living in a tent after subsequent circumstances, without knowing that her temporary home resides on the private property of the esteemed Sohma family. After encountering Shigure, an older Sohma cousin, and Yuki, the “prince” of her school, they offer to take her in their home. Soon after being invited in, she is caught in the middle of a fight between Yuki and his hot-tempered cousin, Kyo. While trying to stop them, she learns of the Sohma family’s secret that whenever they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex, they transform into the animals of the Chinese Zodiac.

This show may seem like your basic rom-com show at first, but really it’s a dark, complex story about trauma and healing that is disguised as a fun and lighthearted show. Watching the show prompted me to read the manga, and I was most definitely not disappointed with it, as the show’s adaptation closely follows the manga. At its core, it’s a rom-com, but the show itself is layered and full of beautifully written complexities. Fruits Basket is everything you’d want in a rom-com and more: it’s funny, romantic, and emotional. This anime is a must-watch!